Saturday, October 9, 2010

Yard Sale!*

    
If ever there was a microcosm of American consumerism, a yard sale, garage sale, tag sale, estate sale, whatever is it.  Oh, the gems one can find (read: Jenny Craig on cassette).  MUST HAVE items of 5, 10, 20 + years ago, unceremoniously dumped on card tables and sold for a quarter for the duel purpose of earning cash (read: serious depreciation disguised as "making money") and clearing the way for the current MUST HAVE items of today.  

I happen to like estate sales as the goodies at those are much more abundant, but my mother-in-law was working this one today so I went over expecting to find nothing.  

Instead, since it was near the end of the sale, I was told I could fill a paper bag (per yard sale rules) full of treasures for a mere two bucks.  

Hello.  Who can possibly turn this bargain down?  
Say you:  So that little guy up there now lives in your house. 
Say me: No.  
But I did get a nifty vintage 3-hole punch, some vintage wrapping paper (You know me and wrapping paper), a bulletin board, 3 mason jars, some needles in their original packaging that initially sold for 15¢....
Say you: OK!  I get it.  You found some cool stuff. But did you really need any of it?  
Say me: Well, clearly. Aa house is not a home without a vintage 3-hole punch. ->  
*Back story:  The tag seen in the picture was attached to a ceramic bird.  My mother-in-law bought it for her garden.  The doll was made in China and still on the table when I left.  

1 comment:

Nectarine said...

Seriously, what is with you and wrapping paper?

And do you use it as wrapping paper, or for something else? Or just keep it...