Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Auntie Anne's







I'm just now cluing in to the fact that I've been mispronouncing the name of this place for years. I've always called it "Aunt Annie's" and, upon viewing this picture I realize it's "Auntie Anne's".

Observant, I am. Nothing gets past me. Mind like a steel trap.

Onward.

Do you know the lore of Auntie Anne's pretzels? Without looking on Wikipedia, and if Oprah's account and my memory serves correctly....

Say you: I thought you quit watching Oprah?
Say me: Well, everyone quit watching her a few weeks ago, since, thank God, she's off network TV. But she featured Aunt Anne's once years ago. This was back before my converstion to non-believer.

...the recipe was an accident. An Amish woman was making them at a state fair or county fair or Amish fair or something and ran out of one of her main ingredients; thus she had to improvise. The result was a more popular product, and you can connect the dots from there.

I have a love/hate relationship with Auntie Anne's pretzels. I love them because they're a mound of carby, salty, fatty goodness, especially with the sweet mustard sauce to dip them in. (Or the cheese. Either one, really. Both if I'm feeling decadent and want to trade off tastes with each bite.) I hate them because the carby, salty, fatty goodness translates into about a day's worth of calories that can be consumed in five minutes. And they smell so. Damn. Good. that they bewitch you into standing in line for one without you even realizing it. I succumb about 14
% of the time. 

Since malls appear to be dying, I suspect Auntie Anne's will die along with them, unless they move into strip malls. Or Target. Or Wal Mart. Now that I think about it, maybe this is why I'm seeing more and more free-standing Chick-Fila stores. They're ahead of the curve. ->



2 comments:

Unknown said...

The malls aren't dying. The concept of people with spending money. That's what's dying.

tHG said...

Or they "evolve" and sell the frozen version in the freezer section like Marie Callender's - from pies to dinners that chain sells it in a convenient package that "tastes just like chicken." Blah.

Last bit is a song lyric - Super Fast Jellyfish from Gorillaz's Plastic Beach Album. It's catchy.