Monday, October 11, 2010

Buy 2

   
Happened to stumble across the little portable work desk in the grocery store today...it was in the same aisle as the ingredients required for my afternoon kitchen experiment, therefore I felt the need to document.  This was the first, and only picture I took.
Say you: Watcha' making?  
Say me: I knew you would ask, so I'm prepared.  
I was reading a novel last week and it mentioned "Magic Bars" at the end.  I'd never heard of Magic Bars, so I looked them up.  They're also called "Hello Dolly's" and some people call them "7 Layer Bars".  I found several recipes online, of course, but to my chagrin they all called for coconut.  

Let's be clear here:  I don't do coconut in baked goods.  EVER.  In my opinion, coconut takes a completely good thing (read: chocolate) and turns it in to some concoction that does nothing more than trigger my gag reflex.  And I'm sorry, but "gag reflex" and "baked goods" should never appear in the same sentence.  

So I decided to make my own recipe.  I'm posting now so I won't forget it.  

Tanya's Magic Bars Which Rightfully Have NO Coconut  
(metric conversion here)

Oven: 350 degrees F
Pan: 13 x 9 

6 oz (1 cup) semi-sweet chocolate chips
6 oz  (1 cup) bitter sweet chocolate chips
6 oz (1 cup) peanut butter chips
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter  
1 1/2 cup old fashioned oats (not the quick-cook variety) 
1 cup finely chopped walnuts (although any nut will do) 
1 cup pretzels 
1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk  (SCM)

Melt butter, mix with graham cracker crumbs, thoroughly combine then press into bottom of your pan.  This is your crust, so let that mixture know who's boss.  Next--and here's the fun part--throw in all the other dry ingredients.  There's no "right" way to do this, it's all going to melt into a gooey mess anyway.  Just make sure the crust is evenly coated with each ingredient.  I didn't even bother crushing the pretzels so I put them on first, but you do what you need to do. Mix and match your favorite nuts and flavored chips. There are hundreds of variations, including adding mini marshmallows.  After you toss in all the dry stuff (I put the oats on top to sandwich the melted stuff with the crust), pour and evenly distribute the SCM on top.  It will soak in and form the glue for all that goodness.  At first glance you might think you need more, but I promise one can is plenty.  These bars are rich.   


place in oven and cook for 25 to 30 minutes or until the SCM has a golden hue.  Let cool completely before cutting. 

And here's the best part:  Since they have oatmeal AND nuts, we can absolutely label this recipe as "health food".  I recommend one (or two) with your morning latte.  -> 

4 comments:

Teresa Potter said...

I am with you on the coconut part! Although I am a big fan of Pina Coladas and the fresh coconut milk in red curry, I cannot stomach the flaked variety. Unfortunately, I can't have peanut butter or condensed milk due to allergies. I'm wondering if I just melted a big pile of those Rocky Mountain chocolates if I could get a similar consistency? I know there would still be milk in that. Sigh. But it might be worth it.

Tanya said...

Right, fresh coconut milk in savory dishes or coupled with run isn't even in the same ballpark as the shredded stuff on the shelves.

Too bad about your allergies! I brought the remainder to my folks today and they wouldn't let me bring them home. These are a winner.

Nectarine said...

I know I'm in the minority here, but I personally feel like you've got this thing backwards - it's CHOCOLATE that people go sticking where it doesn't belong - ruining otherwise perfectly good pancakes, or muffins.

Mmmmm, coconut!

Tanya said...

Nectarine: Are you kidding me?