Saturday, January 1, 2011

Freakout


 Unless you've been living under a rock, you know that on New Year's Eve Oklahoma City is the place to be.  


That's right.  Not New York City with their lame lighted ball and 1million-strong crowd, or Sydney, Australia with their Oprah opera house and being first to see the new year on the globe, but Oklahoma City.  Because we have the Flaming Lips giving us live action and you don't. And their show's been rated one of the best New Year's Eve shows to see.  


I was going to link to that last proclamation, but I can't find a story backing me up, so you're going to just have to trust me on this one.  Anyway, why would Rolling Stone stream it live if it wasn't true?


Huge hamster ball over the crowd, a phenomenon that's so cool it's referenced by geeks? 2011 balloons?  The best cover in the world?  How can you not love that?   


And yes, those stupid green blocks were everywhere, telling us to go to wimgo.com. Which, for the life of me, I'm still unclear on what its purpose is other than dolling out goofy green swag at Flaming Lips concerts for two consecutive years.  


BTW, those "pillows" get tossed through the crowd like beach balls.  Except they're not.  They're potentially lethal. -> 


One of my favorite Lips songs: 




Related articles

No comments: